If you're using Entity Framework migrations in a multi-project solution you might have noticed that when you run the 'Update-Database' action your database was given the name 'yourdatabase.Data.DataContext'. Some people don't mind this default naming scheme but I want to call my databases something a bit cleaner.
I've been using Entity Framework migrations for a few weeks now and I'm having a great time with. However, I've notice that every now and then Entity Framework throws an error when I try to run the 'Update-Database' command.
Whenever you get a message 'Could not load file or assembly or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.' there are a few steps that I've noticed you can do to help work around this type of error.
Over Christmas I decided to dip my toes into making a Windows Phone app for my Lumia 800. If there's one app that I was missing when I moved over to Windows Phone from iOS it was the RTE app. There was no official app so I went about making a quick little app to pull in their RSS feed and make readings the news stories a bit easier to consume on the phone.
This particular error caused me some headaches so I decided to blog about it in the hope that it'll help some other poor soul! I have a pretty standard MVC 3 project that uses Entity Framework Code First for handling the database side of things. I decided to update my project to ensure it was using the latest version of all of the packages in use on my project (ninject/entity framework/etc). This particular project was using Entity Framework v4.1, which I had previously updated using NuGet without any problems, so I decided to download and install the latest version from NuGet - ver 4.2.
Setting up ASP.NET webforms to use ASP.NET 4.0s new native routing setup was really easy to do on a recent project I completed. There were only one or two gotcha's but once you know about them you won't have any problems setting routing up on your own projects.
If you use asp.net RadioButtons you might have an issue when trying to find out which radio button is selected when it comes to jQuery. There are a lot of examples out there for people who use RadioButtonLists but for most people it might not be practical to display radio buttons like this.
I've been extremely busy the past few months working on a new version of Hertz4Ryanair.com that will be rolling out to all European countries very soon. This new version of the website includes many new additions including:
- New Hertz Advantage branded area
- Dual Hertz/Advantage pricing screen
- Updated languages for Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Dutch and Swedish
- Improved admin area with charting controls, export to excel options, full control over when to display dual pricing, etc.
I'm also very excited about this project because it is the first project that I've worked on which sits on multiple servers for both the web servers and database servers. The raw power of the server setup is huge and I am very curious to see how it handles all of the traffic from launching in 26 countries.
The work never stops though and once this project is finished and live there are some new exciting changes coming to our online store software that will be launching in the early part of next year for customers so stay tuned!
I've noticed that some members of my team were having difficulties with Visual Studio when using resource files. Any time they would open a file it would crash Visual Studio. As you can imagine this was very frustrating for all involved.
After a quick search I found a pretty neat alterative editor called 'Simple Resx Editor' by Matías. Currently this resource editor is at version 0.6.2 but it is being worked on at the time to improve the functions available.
The main benefit I like about this editor is that you can open all your resource files, side by side and edit them all in one quick go. This is a perfect setup when dealing with multiple languages as it really speeds things up. If you just want to work on one resource file and you need to know what the Key Name values are simply click on the big Key icon on the top of the app. This little app is small, quick to use and really offers a benefit over the built in editor in Visual Studio in my opinion.
The only snag I noticed while working with the editor is that if you had a very long Value field there are no scrollbars showing. I've left a message to Matías about this issue and I'm sure this will be fixed in the next version of this software.
GlobalTaxiNetworks.com has finally launched! Now any business can book a taxi, know how much it's going to cost in advance, save favourite journeys, re-book previous journey's, add via routes and even print off invoices all in the click of a button....ok it's a few clicks but it's still a slick system if I say so myself :D